Public Assistance

Our searchable database of educational links and resources for teachers, parents and students of Primary and Secondary Schools in Trinidad and Tobago. Helpful links and information for stakeholders in education in T&T.

Public Assistance is a monthly subsistence grant designed to provide financial aid to adults who are unable to work because of ill health.  Public Assistance may also be granted on behalf of needy children whose father, mother or both parents are dead, incarcerated, disabled and unable to work, or has deserted the family and cannot be found.

Public Assistance provides the following monthly payments: 

  • One person - TT$470.00
  • Two persons - TT$710.00
  • Three persons - TT$920.00
  • Four or more persons - TT$1,090.00

Am I eligible?

To qualify for this grant you must be:

  • Eighteen years of age or older.
  • Certified by a Government Medical Officer as unable to earn a livelihood due to illness.

How do I apply?

  • Collect an application form and a Medical Report form from the Social Welfare Board office in your district. The Medical Report form can also be obtained online.  Follow the links below for the Medical Report form as well as contact information for all district offices.
  • Take the Medical Report form to a Medical Officer or your RHA to be completed.  Follow the link below for contact information for health facilities in your area.
  • Return the completed forms to your Social Welfare Board office.  You will be asked to attend a meeting with the Local Public Assistance Board, which makes the decision on all applications.

You have the right to submit an appeal, which will be considered by the Central Public Assistance Board if your application is rejected by the Local Board.

Medical Officer's Report Form

Social Welfare Division Offices

Accessing Healthcare and Emergency Medical Services

What happens next?

After applying, an investigative officer will visit you to assess your needs.  A decision is then made by the Local Public Assistance Board.  If your application is rejected by the Local Board, you have the right to submit an appeal, which will be considered by the Central Public Assistance Board.

What documents do I need?

  • Identification card.
  • Passport.
  • Birth certificate and/or affidavit (if your birth certificate has no name).
  • Marriage certificate (for married women).
  • Certified medical report from a Government or RHA Medical Officer.  Follow the link below to obtain the Medical Officers Report Form to be completed by the medical officer.
  • Information from past or present employers (a Social Welfare officer will give you a form for your employer to fill out, if applicable).
  • National Insurance information.
  • Bank passbook.
  • Any other relevant documents that may be requested by a Social Welfare officer.

Where can I find more information?

For more information on how to apply for this grant and the eligibility criteria, please contact the Social Welfare Division office in your district.

Social Welfare Division Offices

Find Schools in Trainidad & Tobago

School Name
School Board