Local School Boards
Local School Boards
The Ministry of Education has embarked on a process of School Based Management with the aim of providing government schools with greater autonomy, authority and support. Local School Boards have been identified as a catalyst in this restructuring and decentralisation process. Local School Boards have been introduced at each Government Secondary School with the aim of improving student achievement and enriching the school environment.
The Ministry has created a Local School Boards Manual and Parent's Guide to Local School Boards. These publications can be downloaded by following links at the bottom of this page.
How are Local School Boards appointed?
The Minister of Education appoints members to each Local School Board. These members are identified by the major stakeholders of the School - PTA, staff, past students' association, students and members of the local community. Members include:
- The Principal or person acting in that post.
- A practicing member of the school's staff other than the Principal.
- A teachers' union member who is a practicing member of the school staff, nominated by the union.
- Two members of the Parent Teachers' Organisation (PTO), nominated by the PTO members.
- A representative of the Past Pupils' Association, if one exists, nominated by the association.
- A student, nominated by the student council.
- Three members of the local community, nominated by the Minister after consultation with interest groups and stakeholders from the local community.
How do I contact my Local School Board?
You can obtain contact information for your Local School Board by following the link below.
Where can I find more information?
For more information please follow the links below, or contact the Local School Boards Unit of the Ministry of Education. You may also contact the THA's Department of Education.
Local School Boards Unit
Ministry of Education
18 Alexandra Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. (868) 622-4243 or (868) 628-9970
Fax. (868) 628-9962
Opening hours: 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday to Friday, except public holidays
Department of Education
Division of Education, Youth Affairs, and Sport
ANSA Mc Al Building
Tobago, West Indies
Tel./Fax. (868) 635-2219 or (868) 639-3105 / 5680
Opening hours: 8:00 am to 4:15 pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on Friday, except public holidays.