Educational Guidance Counselling

Our searchable database of educational links and resources for teachers, parents and students of Primary and Secondary Schools in Trinidad and Tobago. Helpful links and information for stakeholders in education in T&T.

Educational guidance, counselling and social work services are provided at primary and secondary schools throughout Trinidad and Tobago.  These services are offered by the Student Support Services (SSS) Division of the Ministry of Education with the aim of increasing student success by providing support through:

  • Counselling and specialised intervention strategies for students on extended suspension and other at-risk students.
  • Specialised services for students with moderate or severe special educational needs.
  • Social work services for students with psychosocial and behavioural difficulties at selected primary schools in each Educational District.
  • Early intervention, diagnosis and remediation for selected primary schools in each Education District.

Guidance and counselling services include counselling, referral and consulting.  Social work services include case work and intervention, counselling, referral and consulting, home visits and parent education, social justice and court preparation and processing support, psychological skills development, crisis management and intervention training, and community outreach and linkage.

Who can access services?

In order to qualify for services, a child must require special education and related services due to his or her different abilities and learning style.  Children with any of the following conditions are usually eligible for educational guidance, counselling and social work services from the SSS:

  • Autism.
  • Traumatic brain injury.
  • Mental retardation.
  • Emotional disturbance.
  • Specific learning disability.
  • Speech or language impairments.
  • Hearing impairments including deafness.
  • Visual impairment, including blindness and partially sighted.
  • Orthopaedic impairment.
  • Other health impairment.
  • Multiple disabilities.
  • Developmental delay.

How does my child access these services?

A student in need of educational guidance, counselling or social work services usually displays learning or behavioral problems in the classroom.  The teacher observes this behaviourand consults with the student's parents, a school-based support team and other resources (including guidance officers, special education teachers, school social workers, school psychologists and district health centres) to intervene and implement mediation strategies.  The school then coordinates with the student's parents to ensure that any remediation is supported both in the classroom and at home.

Where can I find more information?

For more information, please contact the Student Support Services Division of the Ministry of Education.  The Division office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, except public holidays.

Student Support Services Division
Ministry of Education
66 Pembroke Street
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel: (868) 625-7935 or (868) 627-1271
Fax: (868) 627-1271


You can also visit the Ministry of Education's website by following the link below.

Ministry of Education website

Find Schools in Trainidad & Tobago

School Name
School Board